One of the objectives of AVCN is to promote the development and updating of Technical and Vocational Education, and Training TVET programmes in developing countries as well as assisting them in providing appropriate programmes that are aligned with the current and projected demands of their labour markets and enhancing social equity and sustainable development.
Concerted efforts are being made in most developing countries in Africa, Asia and the Middle East to revitalize, modernize and harmonize TVET at the national and regional level in order to transform it into a mainstream activity for youth development, youth employment and human capacity building.
Over the past decade several UNESCO and ECOWAS TVET project in Africa, the Arab States, and
Asia, were completed to revitalize the TVET systems, update the curricula, develop instructional material and introduce continuing staff and professional development.
Notable examples are the projects for:
– Nigeria (http://unesco-nigeriatve.org/index.html),
– and ECOWAS countries.
From experiences gained in implementing those projects, it was obvious that there is a need to network and share the best practices in the development of curricula, instructional material development and teacher training. The Avicenna Network is an appropriate vehicle to facilitate the sharing and exchange of curricula and instructional material and training of technical teachers on-line. In particular the capacity building for:
- The development of curricula for all programmes at the secondary and post secondary level in engineering, business and management, applied arts, technology, health profession, agriculture, fisheries, hospitality and tourism.
- The development and local production of Learning, Teaching and Training Material for all programmes offered in technical schools, technical colleges, technical institutes, polytechnics.
- The establishment of continuing, in-service training and professional development of technical teaching and training staff and educators.
- The setting up of TVET Centres of Excellence to provide the necessary support and training for TVET staff as well as the community and industry.
- The training needs assessment and evaluation of the impact of training and TVET on the manpower development.